Margashirsha Amavasya day all set to come up on 14th December 2020, this day falls in Krishna Paksha of Margashirsha month and is also known as Agahan Amavasya, this day devotee witness fast not only for themselves but also for their forefathers or ancestors. Amavasya means a no moon day. This day is deeply dedicated to Lord Krishna, Lord Vishnu, and Goddess Lakshmi. Worshipping on this day is considered to be very fruitful and auspicious.
Margashirsha Amavasya 2020: Date and Timing
Margashirsha Amavasya is on 14th December 2020 and Amavasya Tithi will begin at 00:46:54 Am and will end at 21:48:26.
Legend Associated with Margashirsha Amavasya(Margashirsha Amavasya Katha)
On this day several legends are worshiped by all the devotee like Lord Krishna, Lord Vishnu, Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Shiva, apart from them the blessing of Lord Rudra, Indra, Brahma, Sun are also taken by all the devotees especially by those who witness fast on this day in order to ensure peace and salvation for your family and ancestors and to remove all the sins and doshas as well. Pitru Puja is performed on this very day so that divine and generous results take place for both the person keeping the fast called Vratee and for his/her ancestors’ peaceful afterlife.
The devotee also organizes Satyanarayan puja on this day and worship Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi and further conclude the puja by reading Satyanarayan Katha and offering Prasad to other devotees.
Significance of Margashirsha Amavasya
The major significance behind this day is that the forefather or ancestors of devotees attain a peaceful afterlife and all sins or doshas are removed from one’s life in order to assure a blissful life and gain divine blessings from God on this auspicious new moon night.
Margashirsha Amamvasya Vrat Puja Vidhi
Devotees who are witnessing Vrat on this day should be following the Vidhi as mentioned below:-
- Early in the morning the devotee should get up and take bath, if possible it is advised to take a bath in a sacred river, lake, or pond.
- Deposit Til (Sesame seed) in flowing water while chanting Gaytri Mantra and then water(Arghya) should be given to God Sun.
- Worship Lord Vishnu, Lord Krishna, and Goddess Lakshmi or Lord Shiva as per the traditions of one’s family
- Pitru Puja should be performed and is of great benefit if done near a holy river like in Haridwar to ensure a peaceful afterlife or Moksha Prapti (freedom or liberation)
- Intake of food and water is prohibited for the devotee witnessing fast on Margashirsha Amavasya.
- Afterward, donate food, clothes, etc to the needy or the Brahmin and seek their blessings as well