We observe a full moon every month of the year and that day is called Purnima. Since this is the month of Kartik we will be discussing Kartik Purnima today.
The word Purnima means full moon in Sanskrit. It is celebrated in Hindu, Sikh, and Jain culture. Kartik Purnima is also called Tripuri Purnima or Tripurai Purnima or even Kartikai Deepam in southern parts of the country. Just like any other Hindu festival, this day is also celebrated with certain rituals.
The celebrations of Kartik Purnima begin on the day of Prabodhini Ekadashi aka Devuthanna Ekadashi. As Ekadashi is the 11th day and Purnima is the 15th day of Kartika month, therefore, Kartika Purnima is celebrated for five days.
The five day celebration includes
- Tulsi Vivah
- Bhisma Panchak
- Vaikunth Chaturdashi
- Dev Diwali
Karthik Purnima 2020: Date and Time
Date- 30th November 2020 (Monday)
Purnima Tithi Starts- 12:45 PM (29th November)
Purnima Tithi Ends- 3:00 PM (30th November)
The Legend Associated With Karthik Purnima
This day is considered as ‘Dev-Diwali’ or ‘Deva-Diwali’, the festival of lights for the Gods. But there are different legends associated with this day. It is believed the demon Tripurasura captured the world and divided it into 3 kingdoms, but Lord Shiva came to the rescue. Shiva killed the demon with an arrow and saved everyone, thus marking the day as a festival of illumination.
Apart from that, it is also considered the birth anniversary of Lord Vishnu’s first avatar Matsya. The day is also celebrated as the birthday of Kartikay and Tulsi. As well as it is believed that Lord Krishna and Radha performed a special dance, making it important for Radha. This day is also dedicated to our dead ancestors.
Since the moon is in it’s 3rd or 4th phase, it is considered an auspicious day among Hindus. Moon has a direct effect on water and our mind. It is considered lucky to be born on this day. The devotees worship Maa Laxmi or Maa Parvati for an everlasting relationship and bringing in more wealth and prosperity. Lord Vishnu is also worshipped on this day along with the Tulsi plant, to bring immense fortune into our lives.
Devotees perform a sacred bath before and after the sunrise, with Gangajal. Lord Vishnu is worshipped, flowers and incense sticks are offered and lamps are ignited. Devotees also keep a fast on the day of Kartik Purnima. It is believed to be an auspicious day and is considered advantageous if you do any religious activity on this day.
Vastu Tips For Kartik Purnima 2020
- Get up and clean the house before sunrise, you can add some turmeric water as it will benefit you by keeping the negative energy away from your house.
- Donate food and clothes to the poor, it is considered a good deed.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, cigarettes, or non-veg food, it is considered inauspicious.
- Make a swastika with turmeric on the threshold on the full moon day, it decreases debt problems sounding your life.
- Remove all stopped clocks, broken slippers from the house, as they tend to attract negative energies.
- While worshipping Goddess Laxmi face the north or east direction since it is considered to be the direction of wealth.
- It is believed the full moon is ideal for love. It gives more power and strength to your relationship and heals the broken parts of your relationship.
Apart from Hindus, Jains also celebrate this time by visiting the Palitana Jain pilgrimage center and undertaking an auspicious journey. In Sikhs, the day celebrates the birth of Guru Nanak.
This was all you need to know about Kartik Purnima. Hope you find the information useful.
To know more about festivals, follow our page on various social media platforms,