Guru Purnima(also red about Margashirsha Purnima )is a day dedicated to the celebration of teachers. Also known as ‘Vyas Purnima’ as it was originated by sage Vyas to denote the importance of gurus. The festival falls on the full moon of Ashad (monsoon) time period. The full moon denotes the power of fullness.
A ‘guru’ in its truest sense eliminates the darkness of the world and enlightens a child’s journey through wisdom. Guru Purnima entails the importance of guru’s in our life and focuses on student-teacher relationships. It has been celebrated since the origin of Vedas.
Not just driven by a particular religion, ‘Guru Purnima’ is cherished by all. The auspicious day should be started with the fresh Morning Prayer and then the student must proceed with greetings to the elders and the gurus.
In Hindu mythology, a teacher is equated to God.
“Gururbrahma GururVishnu GururDevo Maheshwaraha.
Guru Saakshaat ParaBrahma Tasmai Sri Gurave Namaha.”
This is the profound Shloka which means ‘guru’ is supreme and we should be obliged to him. A teacher is just like a potter who molds the mud in beautiful pottery.
Some tips to make this auspicious day more blissful –
Fasting is highly recommended on this significant day. Fasting is done for the purification of the soul and attainment of solitude. Here are some of the basic course of action for fasting that one can follow-
- Take a bath in the early morning and wear clean clothes.
- The fast should be followed with utmost sincerity and truthfulness.
- The worshipper should offer flower garland to the guru and to God and after that carry-out Shodashopchar Puja.
Mantras are sacred spells with deep meaning, which are chanted to create vibrations inside us, to develop better.
Mantra for the day of Guru Purnima is –
“Om Sriguruvey Namah Param Guruvey Namah
Parapar Guruvey Namah, Parmeshthi Guruvey Namah”
Mantra for health and good luck –
“Dehi Saubhagyamaarogyam Dehi Me Paramam Sukham
Rupam Dehi Jayam Dehi, Yasho Dehi Dwikho Jahi”
Mantra for welfare –
“Sarv Mangalamangalaye Shive Sarvarth Sadhike
Sharanaye Tarayambke Gauri Narayani Namostute”
- General remedies:
These are some of the general remedies regarding the major parts of life-
- Career – Career, and education have always played a significant role in developing a person’s personality and life.
- A student should have an idol or a painting of Goddess Saraswati in their study place. Goddess Saraswati is known as the goddess of knowledge and wisdom.
- Lord Ganesha is known to be ‘Vaughan Harta’ as he removes hurdles from the life of a devotee and should be worshipped for the growth or promotion in the job.
- Marriage – Marriage is a legal bond formed between two people. Any disputes or conflicts happening in a marriage can be reduced with some simple tips.
- Diamond as a gem is considered to be favorable in married life for couples.
- Couples should pray together for their prosperous and happy life. They should together worship Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati to enhance their loving married life.
- Debt – Financial crisis can happen to anyone and can cause turmoil in one’s life. If a person finds himself in the circle of receiving and repaying for the debt he has taken he must follow the following tips in his routing
- Worshipping Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi on this holy day would bring prosperity in one’s life.
- The banana plant is termed to be divine and holy to be planted around the house. Watering the banana plant daily would bring better results in finance and prosperity.
- Donating food and clothes to the needy and Brahmins is always a great deed to perform. It improves good karma and helps in releasing sins if especially done on the Guru Purnima.
- Health – ‘When there is health, there is everything’ this proverb totally sums up the importance of health. Everyone wishes to be in great health and fitness; some of the tips for achieving great health are –
- Prepare an extra roti for stray dogs or cows to feed starting from the day of Guru Purnima would
- A wind chime is always preferable in the North West direction of the house.
- Birds should not be caged at home but should be fed seven kinds of cereal (sapta dhanya). Seven kinds of cereal must is offered to birds on a consistent basis.
- Astrological remedies:
If the following astrological remedies for specific cases followed on the day of Guru Purnima, it would result in more beneficially.
- Remedies for Malefic Rahu –
- House should be kept clean and tidy. Extra care should be taken for hygiene.
- Everyone should respect their mother and gurus, and should also seek their blessings especially on the day of Guru Purnima.
- Silver metal is auspicious metal at this time period. One can wear a silver necklace too.
- Remedies for Sadesati –
- Lord Shani must be worshipped for the reduction of the effects of Sadesati. Yagya can also be performed to please Lord Shani.
- Offering food and helping people in need has always been a piece of noble advice to do.
- Remedies for Pitra Dosha –
- If you are having a Pitradosha you should offer jaggery and wheat to cow on Sunday’s.
- Begin your morning worship rituals by offering water to the sun and by chanting Gayatri Mantra.
This year’s Guru Purnima is marked by an auspicious occasion of the Lunar Eclipse (Chandra Grahan). This coexistence of Guru Purnima and Chandra Grahan is a very rare event and it is happening after 149 years. The Chandra Grahan will begin at 12:13 am on July 17 and the Partial Eclipse will occur at 1:31 am. The maximum eclipse will take place at 3 am. The partial lunar eclipse will end at 4:29 am. The Penumbral eclipse will end at 5:47 am while the auspicious time of Guru Purnima will start at 1:30 am and will be concluded at 4:00 pm on July 16.
In cases of doubt and suspect the person can always consult Shweta Bhardwaj, the best astrologer in Dehradun Shweta Bhardwaj is a certified astrologer and numerologist at www.PredictionsForSuccess.com.