The word Dhanteras came from a Sanskrit word, ‘Dhan’ meaning wealth and ‘Teras’ meaning thirteen. So as the name suggests it is celebrated on the 13th lunar day of the Kartik month according to the Hindu calendar. It marks the beginning of Diwali.
It is also celebrated as the ‘World Ayurveda Day’ as in some legends it is believed that on this the God of Ayurveda imparted wisdom for the betterment of mankind.
But apart from this, the day is celebrated to worship MaLaxmi and LordKuber for wealth and fortune. But did you know why we worship them on this day?
Well, it is believed that on Dhanteras GoddessLaxmiand Lord Vishnu came out of the ocean, during the Samudra Manthan between the Devas and the Asuras.
On this day the devotees buy new utensils or ornaments or coins made of gold, silver, or brass as an offering to Laxmi and Kuber. The popular legend that we often hear is that there was a 16-year-old king who was predicted to die on the fourth day of his marriage but on that day his wife made him stay awake the whole night. She laid out all her jewels on the bed and started to sing songs for the king. The God of death, Yama came disguised as a snake but when he entered the king’s chamber, he was blinded by the shine of jewels so he sat on the pile of gold and listened to the songs and forget his work. As the sun came he left and the king was saved from death. And since that day it is celebrated as Dhanteras.
According to Hindus, this day is believed to be auspicious for starting new things. It is believed by Astrologers and Vastu experts that if you start a new project or renovate your home, it will end up good. People also keep fast on this day and end it by performing a Laxmi pooja in the evening. At night a lamp is ignited and is kept at the main door as a symbol of keeping death away from the house.
Dhanteras 2020 Date, Time, and Mahurat
Start– Thursday 12th November 2020 at 9:30 PM
End– Friday 13th November 2020 at 5:59 PM
Puja Mahurat– 5:28 PM to 5:59 PM (13th November)
Click here to know what essential accessories you should buy during this year Dhanteras.
And some extra tips from the best astrologer of Delhi on how you should decorate your house and place your safe.
We should also keep in mind the important direction and rituals that should be followed on this day to ensure prosperity.
- The utensils which are brought should be kept in the east direction. A broomstick should be bought to ward off poverty from our house. Also, buy a purple color thing as it represents money.
- The idols of Lord Ganesha and Ma Laxmi and Sarswati should be cleaned and then decorated with sandalwood paste. Also, ensure to keep idols of Lord Ganesha on the left of Ma Laxmi and Ma Saraswati on the right.
- Dhoop should be used as it brings peacefulness during this time.
- A red cloth along with flowers especially the lotus, turmeric, and Laddu should be offered to God as it brings luck.
- A Kalash filled with water and gangajal along with nuts, rice grains, fruits, and coins should be kept next to ma Laxmi.
- Saltwater can be sprayed in the house as well as trans can be used to decorate the house as it keeps negative energies away.
- The main door should also be decorated properly with symbols of om, lotus, swastika, etc, to welcome Ma Laxmi.
Dhanteras is the best occasion to align your surroundings according to Vaastu and Astrology. For more tips and remedies regarding the same contact our experts at www.predictionsforsuccess.com.
Or contact our expert Shweta Bhardwaj.