July 12, falls on the eleventh of the Ashad (monsoon) time is one of the most auspicious days in the Hindu Panchang. It is considered as the day or the occasion of Lord Vishnu. The day is called by different names such as ‘Padma Ekadashi’, ‘Ashadi Ekadashi’ and ‘Hari Shayani Ekadashi’. ‘Devshayani Ekadashi’ has the literal meaning of a sleeping state of God occurring at the eleventh of the month.
From this day to the time span of four months that is from the 12th of July to the 8th of November lord Vishnu rests in the sheer Sagar (milky sea), till then Lord Shiva takes the charge of protecting and preserving the world. The day is very auspicious to release all sins and reimburse in the value of purification. Lord Vishnu is known to be the protector and guardian of the creation. He is the peacemaker and keeper of the world. Lord Vishnu has adopted 10 avatars (incarnation) to save the world from evils and injustice.
On the day of Devshayani Ekadashi, most of the devotees do fasting (Vrat) to mark the holy event. The occasion of Devshayani usually happens after the ‘Puri Rath Yatra’. Devshayani Ekadashi marks the beginning of the Chaturmas that is the four-month time period of the break of Lord Vishnu. During this time span, any auspicious event like marriages, house-warming, etc. is avoided except farming. Without lord Vishnu no auspicious event can take place, hence all fortunate events are avoided. The time period of four months after the Devshayani Ekadashi is said to be the state of sleep or rest of lord Vishnu.
Devshayani Ekadashi Vrat Katha and Significance
The event occurs in the monsoon season and is followed up to the early of the winter season. The devotees prohibit different stories that have been associated with a significant occasion; the most prominent one is the story of the king ‘mandata’. Mandata had a prosperous and happy kingdom but misfortune occurred when the monsoon didn’t hit the kingdom for three years. The king’s kingdom was suffering due to no rain and thus no harvest. The king made lots of efforts to bring back the rain. He performed Yagya and prayers to bring rain. Finally, he met a great astute named ‘Angira’ who advised him to do Devshayani Ekadashi fasting and to perform other rituals too.
Here are some of the ways to maximize the significance of the day–
- Tulsi plant pot to be kept in the North-East direction and should be watered in the morning.
- Start this significant day with the freshness of the body by taking a bath in the morning.
- It is up to the choice of the worshipper to wear yellow clothes and offer yellow flowers for the prayers. Lord Vishnu is signified with yellow color.
- The devotee should evade the indulgence into sexuality and telling lies. It provides emotional stability to an individual.
- If the person is observing fast (Vrat) on this day he should avoid the temptation of food. The Vrat not only helps in the purity of the soul but also strengthens one’s core strength and improves self-control.
- Prayers should be dedicated with a pure heart and a clean soul. Cleanliness maintained while praying with pureness would help to wash away the sins of the past and would be refreshing.
Proper guidance and personalized remedies would make the Devshayani Ekadashi more blissful. To make your day more auspicious follow India’s best experts of marriage counseling, Vastu, astrology, and numerology Vishal Bhardwaj and Shweta Bhardwaj at www.predictionsforsuccess.com.