According to the best Astrologers and Vastu Experts of India, the Month of Kartik is very auspicious as most Hindu festivals fall under this month. That makes this holy month even more important. By following the right rituals and astrology/Vastu remedies, one can achieve maximum prosperity and wealth.
We have already posted about such tips personally suggested by the best Vastu and Astrology experts of Delhi Vishal and Shweta Bhardwaj. You can check those on our Blog section.
Another five-day festival that falls in the Kartik month is Bhishma Panchak or Vishnu Panchka. The fast starts from Ekadashi and is completed on Purnamasi, i.e. five days.
The festival is observed between the five days celebration of Kartik Purnima, That also includes Tulsi Vivah, Vaikunth Chaturdashi, and Dev Diwali.
Hari Prabodhini Ekadashi is considered as the first day of Bhishma Panchak.
Bhisma Panchak 2020 Date
Start Date- 25th November 2020 (Wednesday)
End Date – 29th November 2020 ( Sunday )
Legends associated with Bhism Panchak
The common legend that is associated with the day is of Bhishma Pitamah. At the end of Mahabharata on Kartik Ekadashi, Bhishma Pitamah was lying on a bed of arrows and telling the Pandavas and Krishna about the Rajdharma, Moksh dharma, and Dandharma. He became thirsty so Arjun hit the ground and water came out and erased the thirst and satisfied lord Bhishma’s soul. Seeing all this Lord Krishna declared that from Ekadashi to Full moon day everyone shall worship lord Bhishma by keeping a fast and satisfy his thirst with Arghyadan.
The festival is celebrated for five days starting from –
• The first day is Ekadashi – Lotus flowers are offered at the feet of the Lord.
• The second day is Tulsi Vivah – Bila leaves on the thigh of the Lord are offered.
• The third day is Visheshwara Vrat – Scents at the naval of the lord are offered.
• The fourth day is Manikarnika Snan–Java flowers are offered on the shoulder of the Lord.
• The fifth day is Kartik Purnima – Malati flowers on the head of the Lord are offered.
Significance Of Bhishm Panchak
Lord Shri Krishna had described the importance of Bhishma Panchak Vrat to Bhishma Pitamah, who has been lying on the bed of arrows during the battle of Mahabharta. He then observed this vrat for these five days before leaving his physical body and went to Vaikuntha (Heaven), after the conclusion of Kurukshetra yudh in the Mahabharata.
It is believed if we worship Bhishma the father on these days we might gain salvation. Devotees also believe that lord Bhishma will bless them with a child if they keep all these fast. It also helps us redeem our sins and gain good health.
Offering “tarpan” is considered a very holy and important activity in the Hindu religion. People attain Moksha and redeem themselves from all sins.
Taking a bath in the Ganges or any other holy rivers every day of the five days Bhisma Panchak, and offer tarpana to the Bhishmadeva by chanting the following mantra-
सत्यव्रताय शुचये गांगेयाय महात्मने।
भीष्मायेतद् ददाम्यर्घ्यमाजन्म ब्रह्मचारिणे ।।
वैयाघ्रपद गोत्राय सांकृत्यप्रवराय च ।
अपुत्राय ददाम्येतदुदकं भीष्मवर्मणे ।।
वसूनामवताराय शन्तनोरात्मजाय च ।
अर्घ्यं ददानि भीष्माय आजन्म ब्रह्मचारिणे ।।
The rituals revolving around this day are
• While preparing the Arghya water mix a little kumkum, kevda, floral, cow milk, curd, ghee, honey, and sugar, it is considered auspicious.
• Those who want to practice celibacy should replace Kandamool, fruit, milk, or havishya during these 5 days.
• We should consume cow’s milk, curd, ghee, gejharan, and cow dung during these five days as it is considered beneficial.
• While taking a bath use some gauze in water as it is considered to destroy all sins and diseases.
• An unbroken lamp should be ignited near God for five days continuously.
The fast-starting from Ekadashi to Purnima should end with all customs and rituals with a pure heart then only Lord Bhishma will fulfill our wishes.
To know more about other Festivals, Astrology, and Vedas, follow our social media handles.